Back to blog

Double glazing for listed Grade II buildings

Living in a listed building can come with its difficulties, not least the regulations over altering it. This includes installing double glazing into your windows. This short guide will help you get to grips with the regulations and take you through the necessary steps to get double glazing installed.

What is a listed building?

A listed building is one which has special architectural and historic interest. The purpose of listing it, being to protect it for future generations. There are three categories of listing:

  • Grade I buildings are of exceptional interest.
  • Grade II* buildings are particularly important buildings of more than special interest.
  • Grade II buildings are of special interest. 91.7% of all listed buildings are in this class and it is the most likely grade of listing for a home owner.

Can I alter my windows?

In order to change a listed building, whether that be repairs, alterations or extensions, you need to apply for listed building consent from your local planning authority. This is different to planning permission. Planning permission is required to ensure that any proposed development or change of use takes place in accordance with national and local planning policies. While listed building consent ensures that special consideration is given to the effect of proposed works on the architectural or historic interest of the building itself. Some proposed works need both planning permission and listed building consent, so it’s advisable to check with your local planning authority before carrying out any work.

In order to double glaze the windows in your listed building, you will need to get permission from your local planning authority. It is a criminal offence to carry out work which needs listed building consent without obtaining it beforehand.

Before you commence any work on your property, we recommend that you call and speak with a member of our highly skilled team. We work closely with our local authorities and local architects and can ensure that you get the right permission from the right groups before commencing any work.

It’s important to remember that every council makes decisions on granting listed building consent on a case-by-case basis and each building is assessed on its own specific merits. Property owners should note that it is highly unlikely for local planning authorities to provide consent for the replacement of windows that can instead be repaired, and a professional will be required to confirm that your windows require replacement.

The circumstances where B.A.N.E.S favours the installation of double glazing, is where the existing windows are inappropriate and the use of double glazing could be balanced against the heritage benefit of reinstating an appropriate/authentic glazing pattern. In all circumstances the council insists on the use of narrow profile double glazing and preferably with traditional cylinder glass on the outer pane.

How do I apply for listed building consent?

When you’re ready to make changes to your windows, contact us first. We work closely with the local councils and can ensure the application process runs smoothly from start to finish.

Living in BANES

Applications submitted to Bath & North East Somerset Council must be supplied on the Council’s own application forms.  Before filling in the forms, please read the Council’s Checklists for applicants. It is most important that you supply adequate details with your application. Officers must be able to assess clearly the character, history and relative importance of the existing building and the precise details of your proposals.

Living in Bristol

If you’re living in Bristol, applications can be submitted here.

Living in Wiltshire

If you’re based in Wiltshire, applications can be submitted here.

Ready to make the changes?

If you have any questions about the process or are unsure if you need listed building consent, call us on 01225 920900 or email

Back to blog

This post appears in the following tags and categories.
Click a tag or category to find related articles.